Monday, January 16, 2012

1st week down!

My new teaching bag came in with my name on it:) I can't tell you how much it has saved my life! I love all the pockets. The pockets are now filled with hand sanitizer (a must for any teacher), pencils/pens, sticky notes, and quick cosmetics and small brush.

My first week has blown by. It has been a little confusing because I started on a Thursday so technically I'm in the middle of my second week now. So far I am LOVING being in the classroom. What amazed me every day is how much I am loving it. You know that you are in the right profession when you look FORward to waking up at 5am every day. :)

I have gotten many planners and calendars to keep up with my schedule, and since I have to be at school and leave school when my host teacher does I have a very busy and full day! In about two weeks I will take complete control over the classroom and my host teacher will leave, so I am working really hard to be ready for that time.

The first two days I had planned on just sitting back, observing, learning my way around the school, and learning the names of the children, however, my teacher had encouraged me to go ahead and start assuming some responsibilities in the classroom when I felt comfortable. I was surprised that even on day 1 I was actually helping in the halls, correcting children, and even overseeing work. Needless to say, I fit right in and the children were quickly viewing me as one of their teachers!

Speaking of the children, I fell in love the moment those 22 little ones came bounding in the door. They were all eager to learn and eager to share with us how their Christmas breaks had gone. They say the sweetest and cutest things! :) Within just a few days I discovered their personalities and knew which ones wanted more independence, and which ones were more needy. Sadly, since this is a title 1 school, they are all low income and some have pretty disturbing family lives. This also means that the majority of the students are very emotionally needy. It is hard to see and hear stories that involve the children, but I know that all I can do is be there for them in the classroom and control that little haven we can provide for them.

What an opportunity it is to speak into these little ones lives and to be a good example for them?! I am so excited to see what this semester brings and how they will grow and learn. I am extremely proud to be a part of that.

By the end of the week I had taken control of the hallways, had taken them to different classes, (Art, P.E., Music, and library), had taken over story time, and had even taught the reading block to not only my students but other students who join our classroom for reading. The number of students total for that reading block is 25 Kindergarteners. I definitely had to think on my feet and use a lot of management skills I have learned! For the most part things went well and I kept their attention. I will continue teaching that 45 minute reading block for this next week and will take over 1st grade math next week as well.

Well, I have rambled on long enough and will have to write more later.

Excited about starting another week tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the joy of teaching! I totally believe that you are a born teacher. You have many qualities to be an impressive and fabulous teacher. Keep on smiling!! Lucky are the children in your care! May you maintain your enthusiasm,energy, and health in teaching!

    ReplyDelete